The Boundary Commission established these boundaries for Hoaeae Ahupua‘a, from the boundary with Honouliuli:
1. The boundary between this land and Hoaeae was first surveyed by J. Metcalf May 29, 1848, and the “Kula” of Hoaeae was awarded to L. Rees by this survey.
See Award 193, Volume 1, p. 536.
The following is the boundaries of Kaulu in Honouliuli from the Boundary Commission records.
Kaulu or Coneyville, Sept. 11th 1873
This day in company with Professor Alexander, who is surveying the land went about the boundary in part tracing it, in part looking at natural boundaries. Mr. Coney also in company. Adjacent owners not summoned, this being preliminary.
Sept. 12th Kaulu
The following is from the records of the Boundary Commission. It is an application of A. A. Haalelea, who owns the ahupua‘a of Honouliuli, and it designates the boundaries of the ahupua‘a.
To the Honorable W. P. Kamakau
Commissioner Boundaries for the Island of Oahu, one of the Hawaiian Islands.
|77||Puuloa. Ewa Oahu|
Following the Māhele ‘Āina, there was a growing movement to fence off the land areas and control access to resources that native tenants had traditionally used. In the 1860s, foreign landowners and business interests petitioned the Crown to have the boundaries of their respective lands—which became the foundation for plantation and ranching interests—settled. In 1862, the king appointed a Commission of Boundaries, a.k.a.
By the 1840s, the maka‘āinana began making pleas to the king, asking that he not allow foreigners the right to possess land and hold positions in government. A series of petitions from across the islands on this matter went unheeded. With lands from his personal inventory, the king set up a mechanism to lease out and eventually sell large tracts of land for the development of businesses, which, it was hoped, would also benefit the kingdom.